October 7, 2010

October 7, 2010
Another heart finish from Monday.  This one is New Jersey, the 3rd state to ratify the Federal Constitution on  December 18, 1787.  Its nickname, “The Garden State” is represented on this heart by the flower garden stitched below the state name. The origin of this name can be traced back to Benjamin Franklin and Abraham Browning, who referred to New Jersey as a large barrel full of good things to eat and open on both ends, with both New York and Pennsylvania eating from its agricultural produce.  The purple Violet was designated as the state flower in 1913, although the sunflower received the most votes.  The American Goldfinch is the state bird and  the motto for the state is Liberty and Prosperity.  The specialty stitch on this heart, the Cushion Stitch, represents the residential communities in this state. 


While I'm here I thought I would add a current photo of my Needlebook piece.  I have almost finished the "frame" of the celtic knot and the border on the second one.  Then there are smaller knots intertwined in each section.  Tomorrow is UFO day and I think I will stitch some more on my Army Emblem as I had hoped to get this finished before Christmas..(don't see that happening!)


3 things to remember today:


#1. Go to The Breast Cancer Site.com
       and click to help give mammograms to
       women in need.


#2. Don't forget Annette's Giveaway
       Today is an "odd" so it is her day for the drawing.


#3. Think about joining in my Pay It Forward.  Just make a comment that
       you would like to join in and I will put you in for the draw.  There
       will be 3 people.  Scroll down to my PIF blog post to Read All About It.

3 comments:

SoCal Debbie said...

I love watching your projects come to life!

Missy Ann said...

Please check your email & my blog. :D

www.deepinsidemissy.com

Debra said...

wow, you have several updates!
wonderful stitching all around, your wip is amazing and big congrats on your finish.